Do you love Italy and want to test your knowledge of all things Italian? You came to the perfect place for that!
In this article, you will discover the ultimate Italy quiz.
Italy is known for its famous landmarks, art, literature, language and plenty more. There is a lot to know about it!
You will discover 136 quiz questions and answers about Italy. This also includes some games and picture quiz to spice it up a little!
So, grab a piece of paper and a pen and let’s start this awesome Italy quiz!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no extra cost for you!
Table of Contents
Italy Quiz Questions
Now let’s get started with the questions. You will discover 15 rounds of questions about Italy. This includes picture rounds, language games and general knowledge questions! Some of them will give the chance to score bonus points as well!
Round 1: Italy General Knowledge Quiz Questions
Let’s start this quiz about Italy with some easy-ish questions.
- What is the capital of Italy?
- What colours can you find on the Italian flag?
- Which currency is used in Italy?
- In which century was the Italian Unification?
- Who was the last King of Italy?
- What is Italy’s shape similar to?
- What is the official name of Italy?
- Which countries share a land border with Italy (not counting the enclaves)? (1 point per country)
- Two countries are enclaves in Italy. Which ones are they? (1 point per country)
- How many official languages are there in Italy?
Round 2: Multiple Choice Quiz Questions about Italy
- When was Pompeii destroyed by the ashes of Mount Vesuvius?
- What is the longest river in Italy?
- River Po
- River Adige
- River Piave
- River Tiber
- Rome has only one sister city. Which was is it?
- New York City
- In which Italian city is “Romeo and Juliet” (Shakespeare) set?
- Which town is part of the Amalfi Coast?
Round 3: Famous landmarks in Italy Picture Quiz
You will find 10 landmarks on the picture below. Name them and the city they are located in for a bonus point.
You can score up to 20 points in this round.
Round 4: Italy geography Quiz Questions
- On which Italian island can you find the town of Alghero?
- What is the capital of Sicily?
- Which range of mountains can you find at the border between Italy and France?
- What is the capital of Puglia?
- Which UNESCO site is made of 18 peaks and located in the northern Italian Alps?
- Which region is Naples the capital of?
- Which UNESCO site is made of 5 seaside villages in Northern Italy?
- What is the largest lake in Italy?
- Which river flows through Rome?
- On which small island can you find the Spiaggia dei Conigli?
Round 5: Italian History Quiz Questions
- Where was Christopher Columbus born?
- Who was the first emperor of Rome?
- Lorenzo de Medici was the de facto ruler of which republic?
- What was the first capital of Italy?
- When did Italy become a republic (year)?
- Which Prime Minister was elected in 2001?
- Which Italian noblewoman became Queen of France in the 16th century?
- When did Italy enter WWI (year)?
- Which politician founded the National Fascist Party?
- Who became Prime Minister in February 2021?
Round 6: Italian food Quiz Questions
- In which Italian city was the pizza invented?
- What is the name of the typical Sicilian dish made of a stuffed rice ball?
- What type of milk is used to make traditional mozzarella?
- Which cut of meat is used in an Osso Bucco?
- In which city was the Pasta Carbonara invented?
- What type of food is Focaccia?
- Which Italian dessert can be translated as “lift me up”?
- What is the main ingredient in the sauce of a Risotto ai Funghi?
- To which cheese family does Parmigiano belong?
- Which dish consists of slices of raw beef sprinkled with oil and Parmesan cheese?
Round 7: Italian food Picture Quiz
Round 8: Italian Art Quiz Questions
- Who painted “The Last Supper”?
- Who painted the frescoes on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
- Which famous statue can you find at Florence’s Galleria dell’Accademia?
- In which museum can you find “The Birth of Venus” by Sandro Botticelli?
- Who painted “The school of Athens”?
- Which famous painting from Botticelli can be translated from Italian to “Spring”?
- Which Italian artist’s real name was “Michelangelo Merisi”?
- Which famous Italian sculptor made The Feast of Herod and Lo Zuccone?
- In which city can you find the Uffizi Gallery?
- Which family was the mentor of Michelangelo?
Round 9: Italian Music Quiz Questions
- Who wrote the opera “La Boheme”?
- Who sang “La solitudine”?
- Who sang “Ti Amo”?
- Who sang “Lasciatemi cantare”?
- Who wrote the opera “Rigoletto”?
- Which theatre in Milan is known in the entire world for its operas, ballets and concerts?
- What is the Italian term that describes the fact of singing without instrumental accompaniment?
- What is the national anthem of Italy?
Round 10: Sports in Italy Quiz Questions
- What type of race is the Palio in Sienna?
- How many times did Italy win the football world cup?
- Which Argentinian football player used to play for Napoli in the 80s?
- What are the two main football teams in Rome?
- In which Italian city were the 2006 Winter Olympics hosted?
- In which city is the Italian Open held?
- Italy is part of a European Rugby competition. Which one is it?
- What is “Calcio” in Italian?
- Which sport is Valentina Marchei known for?
- Which constructor got the most win at the Italian Grand Prix?
Round 11: Italian Literature Quiz Questions
- After which author is the term “Machiavellian”?
- Which Italian author wrote “If this is a man”?
- Which poet wrote the Divine Comedy?
- Who wrote “The name of the Rose”?
- Which book by Frances Mayes was adapted in a movie in 2003?
Round 12: Movies & TV Shows about Italy Quiz Questions
- In which famous movie can you see Anita Ekberg in the Trevi Fountain?
- Which movie starred Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in Italy?
- Which movie, a sequel to The Da Vinci Code, was partially filmed in Rome?
- Who directed the movie Marriage Italian Style?
- Who plays Dickie Greenleaf in The Talented Mr. Ripley?
- Which 1953 movies stars Audrey Hepburn as a princess?
- Who plays Elizabeth Gilbert in Eat Pray Love?
- Who played Michael Corleone in The Godfather?
Round 13: Italian Language Quiz Questions
- What is the English equivalent of “In bocca al lupo”?
- What does “Buon compleanno” mean?
- What does “Prego” mean?
- If someone asks you “Come stai?”, what is s/he asking you?
- What is “la colazione”?
- What is a “cornetto”?
- If you are at a bar and order a “succo di frutta”, what are you ordering?
- How do you say “cold” in Italian?
- Which letter is used at the end of a feminine word?
- How do you say “to eat” in Italian?
Round 14: Italian language Game
Round 15: Famous landmarks in Italy Quiz Questions
- What is the name of the papal basilica in Vatican city?
- In which city can you find the Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto)?
- According to the UNESCO, 30% of the world’s most important work of art can be found in one Italian city. Which city is it?
- What sort of tower is the leaning tower of Pisa?
- On which island can you find the Blue Grotto?
- In which city can you find the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II?
- What is the name of the train that goes from Naples to Sorrento, through Pompeii?
- In which archipelago can you find the pink beach of Budelli?
- On which island can you find the Star of the Turks (Scala dei Turchi)?
- In which Italian region can you find the Trulli houses?
Italy Quiz Answers
Congrats! You made it through the 15 rounds of questions about Italy! Now is time to discover the answers and how many points you scored!
Round 1: Italy General Knowledge Quiz Answers
Let’s start this quiz about Italy with some easy-ish questions.
- Green, White and Red
- 19th century
- Umberto II
- A boot
- Repubblica Italiana (Italian Republic)
- 4. Switzerland, France, Slovenia and Austria.
- San Marino and Vatican City
- One, Italian. Most Italians also speak one of the local dialects but none of these is recognised as official language.
Round 2: Multiple Choice Quiz Answers about Italy
- River Po
Round 3: Famous landmarks in Italy Picture Quiz Answers
- Colosseum, Rome
- Doge’s Palace, Venice
- Trevi Fountain, Rome
- Pompeii Ruins, Pompeii
- Ovo Castle, Naples
- Milan Duomo, Milan
- Duomo Santa Maria del Fiore, Florence
- Leaning Tower of Pisa, Pisa
- Pantheon, Rome
- Arena di Verona, Verona
Round 4: Italy geography Quiz Answers
- The Alps
- The Dolomites
- Cinque Terre
- Lake Garda
- River Tiber
Round 5: Italian History Quiz Answers
- Augustus Caesar
- Republic of Florence
- Silvio Berlusconi
- Catherine de Medici
- Benito Mussolini
- Mario Draghi
Round 6: Italian food Quiz Answers
- Buffalo’s milk
- Veal shanks
Round 7: Italian food Picture Quiz Answers
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Cacio e pepe
Round 8: Italian Art Quiz Answers
- Leonardo da Vinci
- Uffizi Gallery in Florence
- Medici family
Round 9: Italian Music Quiz Answers
- Laura Pausini
- Umberto Tozzi
- Toto Cutugno
- Giuseppe Verdi
- Teatro della Scala
- A cappella
- Il canto degli italiani
Round 10: Sports in Italy Quiz Answers
- Horse race
- 4 times (1934, 1938, 1982 and 2006)
- Diego Maradona
- SS Lazio and AS Roma
- Six nations
- Figure skating
Round 11: Italian Literature Quiz Answers
- Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli
- Primo Michele Levi
- Umberto Eco
- Under the Tuscan sun
Round 12: Movies & TV Shows about Italy Quiz Answers
- La Dolce Vita
- Roman Holiday
- Angels and Demons
- Vittorio De Sica
- Jude Law
- Roman Holiday
- Julia Roberts
- Al Pacino
READ MORE: 40 Best Movies about Italy To Watch Before Your Trip
Round 13: Italian Language Quiz Answers
- Break a leg (good luck)
- Happy Birthday
- You’re welcome
- How are you
- A croissant
- Fruit juice
Round 14: Italian language Game Answers
Round 15: Famous landmarks in Italy Quiz Answers
- St. Peter’s Basilica
- Campanile of the cathedral of Pisa
- Capri island
- La Maddalena
You may also be interested in:
- The Best France Quiz: 146 Questions and Answers about the French culture, food, language and more!
- The Ultimate Ireland Quiz
- The Best Travel Trivia: 114 Travel Quiz Questions and Answers for your games night!
- The Best European Cities Quiz: 108 Games, Questions and Answers about European Cities (not just capitals!)
- The Best UK Picture Quiz: 90 Questions and Answers about the UK for your next British Quiz!
- The Best Famous Landmarks Picture Quiz: 120 Questions and Answers!